Thursday, May 07, 2009

This is the Day!

a.
What a week!

On Tuesday we were up before the sun (!!!!) to head to the Australian Beef Expo, held every 3 years at Rockhampton. Isn’t it fantastic that they timed it to coincide with the publication of my first picture book, featuring a beefy, red cow?!

I spent the day doing author activities with school groups and promoting the book, which was a lot of fun! (I think I’d like to do that again, sometime…)

Wednesday – excitement was mounting… Preparations for the book launch on Friday hit frenzied stage.

And in the midst of all this, I took delivery of two boxes.

Who would think a cardboard BOX could be exciting – but those two boxes prompted much laughter and squealing from my mum and sister, while I was incredibly restrained and quiet.

Those two boxes had my name plastered all over them! It was printed into the cardboard of the box – from the factory! (And there are more boxes, just like them in rubbish heaps (!!) around the country.)

Inside those two boxes… books, books and more beautiful books. My books.

This is the Mud!

No, I did not cart a box around everywhere showing everyone! And no, I haven't got photos of me and my cardboard box... And no, I most definitely have NOT burnt those cardboard boxes - though I'm not sure that I'll frame them, like everyone is suggesting... Whatever would make you think those thoughts?

But that was Wednesday.

Today, it’s THURSDAY.

That loooong awaited moment has arrived. Excuse me while I screeeeeeeeaaeeaammmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Yes, the countdown is over.

At last!

This is the Mud! is...
......................................... OUT NOW!!!!

In bookstores.

For sale.

RELEASED!!!!

A published picture book.

(Yep, I’m excited!)

Here’s a little piccie, just to get you involved – and perhaps just a little bit excited too. It is not coincidental that there are similarities between the delightful Amber and ‘the cow’ in the text. That first illustration could be a view from my back verandah – Amber, paddocks, timbered hills and blue skies with fluffy clouds… Just another reason to make this an incredibly special book.



Thankyou Warren!

(Umm… Did I mention that I didn’t actually draw those gorgeous illustrations? They are the work of illustrator Warren Crossett – and yes, he is incredibly talented!)

And then there are the reviews – more excitement!

Sally Murphy (Aussie Reviews): “This is an outstanding read aloud offering which will be requested regularly by young listeners.”

Margaret Hamilton (Australian Booksellers and Publishers): “Like all the best cumulative rhymes, this book would be great fun to read aloud, either in class or at home.”

Jenny Gorman (Magpies Magazine): “This well executed picture book… is an entertaining and presumably realistic tale of misadventure…Children will no doubt enjoy the messiness… Country kids especially should enjoy seeing their own world depicted…”

Malcolm (Storytime Books - NZ): "...many Kiwi readers will find reminiscent of The Little Yellow Digger, and... Duck in the Truck. And it’s as good as either of those books in its own way, which is high praise... Sure to be popular with those it is read to with simple text and action-filled illustrations."

And as if all that wasn’t enough reason to be excited, after Thursday comes.... Friday!

And this Friday, we’re celebrating Under 8’s Day with muck, mess and mayhem, as we officially launch This is the Mud!.

(There will be a special edition of the Verse Off happening here and on Sally Murphy's blog, so don't forget to check back then - and join the fun!)

What a week!

What a celebration.

I can't stop smiling!
.

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Kathryn!! Can't wait to read it. Love your blog by the way - just discovered the poems down below - what a clever bunch of writers (of course!)
    :) Have a wonderful and exciting time at Mud's launch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! A week spent happy as... a cow in mud. Forget the pigs! This week the mud all belongs to Kathryn and Amber!!!

    I am looking forward to reviewing this book. The cover is wonderful and that's always a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. COngrats, Kathryn.
    Here's a glass of cyber bubbly for you to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Kat!

    A huge congratulations! Enjoy your celebrations.

    Hugs from Liz Flaherty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting girls - and leaving a message.

    Definitely celebrating!

    Sandy, I love that picture - happy as a cow in mud! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mrs Apel,
    We are so excited for you and your lovely beefy BEEF lady. Congratulations to you both. What a exciting time for you! Enjoy!!!
    From the DAIRY ladies next door!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You DAIRY ladies are gorgeous. So glad you dropped into this BEEFY blog! What a delightfully black 'n' white surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulatios Kat,

    Love the blog entry announcing this wonderful event.

    Hope 'the Mud' is everywhere - all over Australia - the world.

    May Amber become one of history's famous cows.

    Have a fabulously messy launch tomorrow.

    Dee:-)

    ReplyDelete