Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Verse Off - Week Four

.
Week Four of the Verse Off – and a special welcome to any who may be joining us for the first time! This is the final edition of the Verse Off - for now - so if you’ve been waiting to contribute, here's your chance!
.
If you’ve played before, you know the routine. If this is your first time, (feel free to scroll below to past posts and see what we’ve been up to.) here’s the drill…

May is a dual celebration with the release of Kathryn Apel’s humorous rhyming picture book, This is the Mud!,


and Sally Murphy’s a free verse novel, Pearl Verses the World,


To celebrate, each Sunday, we are inviting blog readers to have some fun by responding – in verse – to a prompt. You can choose your style – either free verse (unrhyming) or rhyming verse. This is your chance to prove that your preferred form is the best.

If you want to respond in free verse, please post your response on Sally’s blog, and if writing in rhyme, you can post at Kathryn’s blog, below.

On Monday – we’ll post the verses in a new post for all to see. (Although Kathryn may run a day late this week... So if not all poems are there Monday - check back in on Tuesday...)

Here are the rules:
1. There is no ‘right’ answer to the prompt. Be creative.
2. Limit your response to twelve lines (so there is room for everyone’s response)
3. You can respond in either free verse or rhymed verse. If you’d like to do both, post each at the appropriate blog.
4. This is your work, so add your name, and a link to your website or blog, if you’d like.
5. Everyone is a winner! But there is no winner.

Got it? Great. Then here goes with the final prompt - taken by Sally on her travels…
.
Have fun! Remember, this is your last chance... for now!
.
Go on... You can do it!

8 comments:

  1. Whale on sand –
    Who’ll give a hand
    to help get it off
    the hot and dry land?

    Put it back in the sea
    on the count of three.
    It’s a sight in the water
    for tourists to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What awesome creatures, Australia
    the emu, the roo, the whalia.
    This view from the sea
    is confusing for me
    Who feathered this large animalia?

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I woke up I was on the land
    Not in the sea, but on the sand.
    I must get back and in a hurry.
    Or I’ll end up a big fat slurry.

    I have to move or I will die
    And be a twinkle in the sky
    Push me, shove me
    Get me out,
    If you don’t I’ll have to shout.

    I close my eyes and wait to die
    Unless a wave comes passing by
    I feel the ocean fill my nose
    What happened? Did I just dose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a whale of a time in Eucla!
    The kids and pet emu came too
    We got covered in dust at a muster
    Then a bonza big bush barbeque!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emu exports by the bay!
    Bag a bird down Eucla way,
    then beach yourself upon the sand
    and see the biggest whale on land.
    Bird in the bush.
    Whale in the bay.
    Feather your nest,
    then row, row, row your boat…
    and sail away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Hah!' said the whale,
    'if I keep real still
    I'll be able to stay
    on this rocky hill.
    Or else there's a chance,
    I fear to report,
    I'll end up like emu -
    an Aussie Export!'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stranded on a rocky shore
    We waited for the tide
    as urgent messages poured in
    and thirsty patrons cried:
    ‘The pub’s closed down.
    We’re out of beer.
    The dinghy’s got to sail.’
    The wind stood still
    and all seemed lost
    ‘til rescued
    by a friendly whale.

    http://belka37.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen the Big Banana
    and the Big Lobster too
    Big Orange, Big Ned, Big Apple
    Even Big Cockatoo
    But when I saw the Big Whale
    I couldn't belive my eyes
    because the Big Whale was really,
    For a whale, undersized.
    It seems to me contrary
    To make little stuff bigger
    Then make big things smaller
    Than real life - go figure!

    ReplyDelete